Middle eastern chicken shawarma sandwich recipeJuly 20, 2012
I love me some good Middle Eastern food. A yummy chicken shawarma is a great way to taste the spices & flavors of the Mid East! I’ve written about Middle Eastern food here and here. The way I make this dish is I make a big batch of all the components (all cut up and ready to add to the sandwich) and then store this in the fridge and leave it there for a few days until I’m ready to use it. Then when I want to make a sandwich, I simply take out my tray of fix-ins and assemble!
Middle eastern chicken shawarma sandwich recipe
- 1 package thin-sliced chicken breast
- shawarma spices (found in International/Ethnic aisle of many supermarkets or Middle Eastern grocery store)
- 6 pita pockets
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups tahini sauce (puree 1 cup tahini paste with 1 cup water)
- Rub the shawarma spices on the chicken breast and grill the chicken on a grill pan over medium-high heat until fully cooked. Slice the chicken after it has cooled.
- Assemble all the fix-ins on a large tray or platter.
- Heat up a pita pocket on a skillet until warm.
- Fill with the sliced chicken, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, parsley and tahini sauce.
- Enjoy immediately!