Since rice cereal is nutritious with a fairly bland flavor, it is a common first food for baby. It can be used on its own mixed with breastmilk or formula or it can be added to other foods as a thickener.
- 1/2 cup brown and/or white rice
- breastmilk or formula, volume adjusted to achieve desired consistency
- Put the rice in a blender or food processor and process until a fine powder is achieved.
- Cook the rice in a saucepan with 2 cups baby water until the water has absorbed.
- Take the mixture off the heat and stir in the breastmilk or formula to thin out the puree.
This puree can be refrigerated for a few days and frozen for up to a month.
This puree is appropriate for babies over 6 months of age.
Always consult with your doctor about the introduction of new solid foods to your baby.