5 Furniture Shopping TipsOctober 8, 2015
Whether you need to furnish a large four-bedroom house or just a piece or two of furniture for a particular room, I have a set of Furniture Shopping Tips to help ease the confusion and make the process of furniture-shopping smoother! From tips on choosing the right colors to selecting pieces that make sense for your space, here are some tips on shopping for furniture!
5 Furniture Shopping Tips
1. Consider your lifestyle. Just because you might like the look of white fabric on your sofa, it may not be a practical choice if you have young kids and/or pets. If your piece of furniture is likely to get a lot of wear & tear, go for something more durable and long-lasting. We have a leather sofa and chaise in our house, and even if the kids get some dirt on it, it can be easily wiped off!
2. When in doubt, choose classic colors. You might be loving that bright turquoise sofa right now, but what if you’re not a fan of aqua-blue tomorrow? When it comes to big purchases, go for classic colors. You can always add pops of color with the accessories.
3. Measure your space. Whether you’re buying pieces in person at the showroom or ordering furniture online, always take measurements of the space you’re trying to furnish before you make any purchases. Even though a piece may look like it will fit, make absolute certain it will fit by always taking careful measurements.
4. Buy quality over quantity. When it comes to pieces that will get a lot of use, like sofas and tables, always go for high-quality pieces over the cheap stuff. When you buy a cheap piece of furniture, you will wind up spending more money in the long run, having to replace it more often. When you invest in a quality piece of furniture, you wind up holding onto it for a longer time, saving you time, money and effort!
5. Evaluate your personal style. Make sure you stick with the decor style you have already created in your home. If you tend to like traditional home decor, and your house is already outfitted with a bunch of traditional pieces, make sure that your new purchase will fit into that space. If you tend to stick with modern lines and a contemporary feel, make sure that your new purchase will complement that decor style.
So those are my 5 Furniture Shopping Tips! I recently discovered a new furniture store online, European Leather Gallery, and I just wanted to share with you all why I’m totally loving their furniture. They sell the Ekornes Stressless collection of furniture, which is an exceptional brand of furniture from Scandinavia. The European Leather Gallery offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee and they also offer a Lowest Price Guarantee! They have a showroom in Jacksonville, FL, but you can also order pieces online and via phone!
If you’re wondering a bit more about the Ekornes Stressless collection, here are some reasons why this furniture line is fabulous:
- Lumbar support: The furniture supports your back and head in proper alignment.
- Chiropractor approved: The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) endorses their recliner due to its ergonomic support.
- Variety of furniture options: Whether you’re looking for recliners, office chairs or sofas, you will find something that is both comfortable and attractive!
- Color options: You can choose from multiple different colors or wood finishes to match your home’s decor.
Here’s some of their gorgeous pieces!
And here’s a picture from their showroom.
Those really do look super comfortable!!
So, if you’re looking for some high-quality pieces of furniture that will complement your home and support your back & head, be sure to check out the Ekornes Stressless collection at European Leather Gallery!
Now, tell me in the Comments below: what is your favorite furniture shopping tip?
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by European Furniture Gallery, but all opinions are exclusively my own.
Great tips. I love the leather furniture in the bottom picture. Never thought of having a leather ottoman. Very easy to keep clean!
I love the leather furniture, too! I agree that it’s so easy to keep clean!
Thanks for visiting, Carol!
I love that living room set! We recently bought new bedroom and living room furniture and I picked out the bedroom and hubby got to pick out the living room! I hate it. It is a man sized sectional with built in recliners. While it is pretty and majorly comfortable you can’t lay down on the couch and that sucks. I would love to have this!
It’s so important to find a set of furniture that is comfortable and practical for everyone in the house! I love to be able to lie down on the couch, too!
Thanks for visiting, Rena!
I totally second considering your lifestyle when buying furniture! How many times do people buy a new couch before thinking about how it will look with toddler drool and crayon marks on it, lol!
Yes, it’s important to consider how durable you need your furniture to be! 🙂 I myself need very durable furniture!
Thanks for stopping by, Megan!
Measuring your space is so important! When you’re in a showroom or shopping online, the size of the furniture can be deceiving. These are all great tips.
Yes, the furniture can definitely look bigger or smaller than it really is! Measure so there’ll be no doubts!
Thanks for stopping by, Alli!
Life style! I have two young boys and last year my hubby bought a coffee table with sharp edges. Needless to say my youngest fell and smashed his cheek on the corner 🙁 a few inches higher and it would have been his eye. So it is so important to consider your life style and others in your home.
I put that table in storage until my kiddos are older and now use a cute antique chest (With round corners) as a coffee table.
Yes, we try to stick with round corners here too, Savannah! One of my daughters did that once at a friend’s house- it was so scary to watch!!
Thanks for stopping by!
These are great tips for buying furniture. I have the hardest time deciding what to get when it comes to couches. Ugh.
Sometimes it can take a while to find a piece that really feels right!! 🙂
Thanks for your comment, Dina!
Measuring your space before shopping is a great tip! It would be horrible to buy and have it not fit properly in your space!
Yes, accurate measurements are a must!! Thanks for your comment, Chantal!
these are some great tips. i suck at this and always stick to basic black furniture.
Basic black furniture is always in style, so nothing wrong with that! Thanks for visiting Aaronica!
I love color but I agree with going for a classic color for furniture. You can always add bright throw pillows to dress it up.
Yes, I love to change up the pillows on our sofa with (almost) every season. Just ask my family! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by, Lisa!
When me and my husband first started buying furniture for our apartment, we considered most of the tips you mentioned here. We went for classic browns and soft green colored furniture. We had to consider the size of the apartment, and of course, the quality of the stuff we purchased. Our two seater couch is still comfy and has served us for a long time.
Yes, it’s always worthwhile to invest in a quality piece that will last a long time! Rather than buy something cheap and have to replace it every year or two!
Thanks for visiting, Eileen!
your tips are really usefull…soon am gonna shift in my new house and i’d need to buy forniture so yeah… 😉
Thanks, Nazma! Hope my tips help you pick out the furniture you will need!
I’m super picky with furniture so I have a hard time picking the exact right ones, especially size-wise. These are some great tips I need to follow!
Thanks, Jeanine! Have a fabulous weekend!
I definitely agree with quality over quantity. I have some unique pieces that I spent a lot of money on and it makes a huge difference!
Yes, it’s definitely worth making the investment up front!
Thanks for stopping by, Lisa!
I always want to go bold and buy crazy but cute furniture but my husband doesn’t agree, lol.
It can be hard to find a piece that everyone likes sometimes! Thanks for visiting, Jess!
I totally agree with all of these tips!! I would love to have white/light furniture but my little dog makes that impossible!!
Haha, yes, I totally understand that!
Measuring the space ahead of time is so key. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten somewhere and not known the size of the space and been like hmmmmm, I think this will fit. 🙁
Yes, that’s a problem! 🙂
Thanks for your comment, Tyra!!
My favorite advice is quality over quantity. With kids I have to choose quality first. I cant have cheap material or my kids will destroy it.
Yes, better quality always pays off in the long run! Thanks for visiting, Deshawn!