Dog Gear: A Checklist of Pet EssentialsSeptember 27, 2017
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mario Feeder. All opinions are mine alone.
For the last few months, the kids have been begging us to get a new dog. I think we will surprise them with a puppy at some point over the next few months. However, there is a lot of gear that comes along with a dog, so today, I’ll be going over some pet must-haves. From Mario Feeder (a high-tech feeding system that syncs to your smartphone) to dog toys (there are so many different types for different uses), keep reading to see what you need for your pet!
Dog Gear: A Checklist of Pet Essentials
Just like humans, pets need a spot to cuddle in and get comfy at night. However, a quick walk through a pet supply store will reveal a surprising variety of different sizes and shapes of dog beds. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Beds made with natural materials are best.
- A non-skid bottom will reduce the chances of the bed sliding on the floor & potentially hurting your furry friend.
- A removable cover makes it easy to wash your dog’s bed every week.
2. Mario Feeder:
The Mario Feeder is a gadget that streamlines and automates the process of feeding your pet! If you’re running late at the office or had to make a few stops on the way home, don’t fret –
with the Mario Feeder, your pet will be fed. With a simple click on your smartphone app, the Mario Feeder will dispense food to your pet regardless if you’re 5 miles away or 50 miles away.
Here are some of the features that makes Mario Feeder unique:
- It monitors water! By monitoring water level, the Mario Feeder will forecast when the water needs to be refilled. Plus, this device will determine if your pet is dehydrated (based on water consumption and ambient temperature). It will even send notifications to your smartphone – talk about convenience!
- It schedules meals! Sync your Mario Feeder to an app on your smartphone to let you determine what – and when – your pet will get fed!
- It dispenses different types of food! The Mario Feeder features a rotating bowl that can store various types of pet food, including bones, soup, dry food, treats and more!
- It measures food! Packed with load cells to measure the weight of food, the Mario Feeder can quantify exactly how much food your beloved pet has eaten.
- It keeps food cold! With Phase Change Materials, the Mario Feeder is equipped with the technology that lets you serve foods that need to be kept at a certain temperature without worrying about spoilage.
- It is durable! Constructed from strong plastics, the Mario Feeder can easily accommodate dogs up to 23kg in size. You can even use it outdoors!
- It can identify different pets! Got more than one pet? Don’t want the neighborhood squirrels to steal your dog’s food? The Mario Feeder can detect and identify multiple pets (using RFID technology) and will only dispense food when the correct animal is nearby and ready to eat!
- It listens to your pet! Equipped with a microphone, Mario Feeder will send a notification to your smartphone if your pet is barking. Isn’t that awesome!
The Mario Feeder is currently on Kickstarter and has been developed thanks to a dedicated group of engineers, designers and dogs. The company dog, Mario, has been testing and loving the prototype for the past 6 months. Mario’s dad is an engineer and developed this product to solve a common problem with a simple, effective solution. So he designed the Mario Feeder to be a reliable way to quantify and automate pet feeding.
If you’d like to try Mario Feeder for your own pet, be sure to back Mario Feeder on Kickstarter.
Want to see the Mario Feeder in action with Mario? Watch this adorable video! What a cute dog!
Want to stay updated on the latest news & offers regarding the Mario Feeder? Keep in touch with the company on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
3. Collars & Leashes:
A collar with an ID tag is vital when walking your dog. In general, stick with a wider collar so that the force applied to your dog’s neck is distributed over a larger area. Collars are made from different materials, including nylon and leather. Pick a variety that suits your family’s needs and preferences. For example, if your dog enjoys swimming, then a leather collar is not the best choice.
There are various types of leashes. A standard leash is ideal for everyday walking and basic training. Most feature a loop at the end to make gripping easy. Go with any color and material that you prefer. A different type of leash is the retractable leash, which comes out when pulled and automatically retracts when pressure is released. This type of leash is not suitable when teaching a dog to walk with a loose leash.
4. Grooming Tools:
Get started with grooming early on so your pet is accustomed to the feeling of being groomed. Plus, it’s a fun bonding activity for the two of you. Bristle brushes can be used on most dog species. Wire-pin brushes are ideal for longer-haired dogs or dogs with very curly hair. Slicker brushes are a great choice for detangling your dog’s coat.
Yes, dogs need toys! They are not just for entertaining your furry friend. They are also used for mentally stimulating your pup and teaching him the skills of patience and logic.
- Tug toys are geared toward a dog’s need to pull. Encourage your dog to play with a fun game of tug of war.
- Fetch toys (think balls and Frisbees) are designed to encourage your dog to grab the toy and bring it back. Perfect for retrievers and other dogs that love to chase, these toys are great for building strength and endurance.
- Chew toys are ideal for letting your teething pup chew for hours. Make sure small pieces of the toy don’t get broken off – they could pose a choking hazard.
Would you love to check out the Mario Feeder for your pet? What kind of collar does your dog use? Did I miss any essential dog gear in my list? Share your comments below!