7 Easy Ways to Protect Your Heart This YearMarch 6, 2017
Protecting my heart is something I’m very passionate about. Heart disease runs in my family, so I want to make sure I am taking some basic steps to keep my heart healthy for a long time. I am in my early 30’s but it’s never too early (or too late) to make positive lifestyle changes. Here are some ways I have been making a step in the right direction.
7 Easy Ways to Protect Your Heart This Year
1. Eat those fruits & veggies: We’ve all heard that famous saying about the health benefits of an apple a day and its purported ability to keep the doctor away. The truth is that consuming fruits and vegetables provides the body with beneficial vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. The fiber in fruits & veggies also keeps you fuller longer, reducing the need for unnecessary snacking. It’s best to include produce with a wide variety of colors to ensure you are getting the whole spectrum of vitamins and minerals.
2. Consume healthy fats: Not all fats are bad fats. The fats in processed and fried foods are definitely harmful to the body, but the fats in olive oils & avocados have a great fatty acid profile and are considered good fats. These fats should be consumed on a regular basis to keep the body operating at a top level.
3. Drink green tea: There have been many studies on the health benefits of green tea. Featuring the super antioxidants known as polyphenols, green tea has the power to really benefit the body in many ways. I have become accustomed to the natural taste of green tea and enjoy several cups per day. If you are new to the flavor of green tea, you may prefer to sweeten the green tea with some agave nectar or honey.
4. Control stress levels: Overwhelmed by everyday stresses? We’ve all experienced that sense of being overwhelmed, but it’s super important to keep those stress hormones under control. I like to schedule some down time every day to just unwind and decompress. Sometimes I will just do my own manicure & watch a favorite show. Sometimes I might meet a friend at the coffee shop for some chit chat. Finding a way to decompress is important!
5. Exercise regularly: Keeping the cardiovascular system in top shape is vital to keeping the body in a healthy state. Even if you’re not interested in running around the neighborhood right away, just staying active every day can help. Park the car farther from the store and force yourself to walk the extra distance. Heading to the third floor? Try the stairs instead of the elevator. These simple swaps are easy and effective.
6. Stop smoking: Cigarette smoke is one of the most toxic substances for the body, particularly the heart. If you’re currently smoking, meet with a counselor who can help you wean off the nicotine. If you’re not currently smoking, make sure you don’t expose yourself to secondhand smoke in public.
7. Supplement with Natural Calm: I first tried Natural Calm years ago and I was so impressed by how it made me feel. Natural Calm is a fruity, effervescent drink that fosters healthy magnesium levels. Why is magnesium important? Well, achieving a fine balance between calcium and magnesium in the body is necessary to feel a sense of peace and calm. However, almost 80% of Americans don’t get enough magnesium via diet alone. To make matters worse, many Americans consume excess calcium (from dairy foods and various supplements). This is why Natural Calm can help bridge the gap between calcium and magnesium.
By consuming Natural Calm, we are providing our bodies with the extra magnesium that it needs to balance out the calcium. Think you can get magnesium through your diet? Think again! Fruits & vegetables have lost some mineral content due to soil depletion. What’s more is that emotional stress and certain medicines (diuretics, antibiotics, oral contraceptives, insulin, cortisone) can deplete magnesium levels further. Even heavy exercise can have the effect of lowering magnesium levels.
It’s so easy to prepare a glass of natural calm. Simply place 2 teaspoons of the powder in a glass and add 2–3 oz of hot water. Once it fizzes, stir until it’s completely dissolved. Then you can fill with warm or cold water. Since Natural Calm is offered in delicious flavors (like Raspberry-Lemon flavor), you can even add it to smoothies, drinks and snack recipes!
I love that Natural Calm features highly absorbable, water-soluble magnesium in ionic form, so it is ready to go to work right away. I also appreciate that it’s vegetarian, gluten free. To keep up-to-date on the latest news & offers from Natural Calm, check them out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Want to try a free sample of Natural Calm? For a limited time, the company is offering free samples of the #1 Magnesium Brand. Look for the footer on their website and experience CALM for yourself today! Want to learn more about the benefits about magnesium? Get a free educational e-book by clicking this link and signing up for their newsletter.
Did you know that February is heart health month? I hope these tips have helped you find ways to protect your heart from the daily barrage of stress, unhealthy foods, smoke and more.
Learn more about Natural Calm and tell me: How do you keep your heart protected? What simple steps have you taken that make a big impact in your health?
Thank you to Natural Vitality for partnering with me on this post. All opinions are mine alone.
The material contained in this post is provided for informational purposes only. You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.