This post contains affiliate links.
Do you have a hallway that just looks & feels a little builder-grade and boring? We did, but we decided to upgrade it by installing some board and batten. The process was really relatively simple. It only took a few hours of work (we have a pretty small hallway) and I am absolutely in love with the result!
DIY Board and Batten: Our Hallway Update
1″x3″ MDF boards (this is the “board” part)
wooden lattice strips (this is the “batten” part)
nail gun or hammer & finish nails
miter box & miter saw
white latex paint
paint roller or paint brush
1. First, we figured out how high we wanted the board & batten to be on the wall. We chose a height of about 50″ from the floor. We drew a very light pencil line at this level.
2. Next, it’s time to attach the MDF board to the wall at this level. We used a basic hammer and nails. It was quick work and I love the way it was already coming together. Even though our MDF board wasn’t long enough for one of the walls, we knew we would be able to take care of that shortly.
3. We used our miter box to create nice, smooth corners. Here is an example of an inside corner.
4. Next, we attached the lattice strips to the wall. We cut them to fit the length from our baseboard to the horizontal strip. We spaced the battens about 15″ apart from each other.
5. We also had to add some caulk to diminish any gaps between the board & batten and the wall. We also used caulk to smooth out the gap between two individual MDF boards on the wall.
The last step was to simply paint the whole thing white. I used a paintbrush to get in the gap between the boards and a roller brush to fill in the large areas. I am absolutely in love with our hallway and how the board & batten turned out! It really makes our hallway look so much more refined and elegant!
I already told my husband that we have to do this same thing in our dining room! If only there were more hours in the day!
I hope you enjoyed this fun hallway update. If you’re looking for more inspiration on home projects, check out some of my favorite posts below. Just click on the picture & you’ll be taken to the post! Happy remodeling, friends!