Sugar Cookie TurkeysNovember 18, 2015 19 By EngineerMommy
This is my favorite time of year! In addition to all the fun and festivities of Christmas, I really enjoy the holiday of Thanksgiving! And not just for the food (although I do love some yummy turkey, gravy, stuffing, etc.)! I also really like the whole concept of being thankful and giving thanks to those we love. I’m always trying to instill in my daughters a sense of thankfulness and appreciation for what they have! And sometimes it’s a struggle, because 4-year-olds will be 4-year-olds!
So last week, while discussing what we are thankful for, my daughters & I decided to make sugar cookies! Then we got to work decorating the little cookies to look like turkeys! We added feathers and little eyes. It was such a fun way to spend the afternoon! Hope y’all like our sugar cookies!
Sugar Cookie Turkeys
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat to combine.
- Add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick.and bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges.
- Cool on wire rack.
First, we rolled out the dough.
Then, we used the turkey cookie cutters to form the turkey shapes.
We spread this orange icing all over the cookies. We like this icing recipe.
We added a chocolate chip for the turkey’s eye and used some yellow icing to form the turkey’s feathers! How cute are these guys?!