I have always believed that well-dressed windows make a huge impact in a room, but since moving into the new house a few months ago, there is still one room with a window that has remained undressed. That room is the master bathroom! Although we’ve done a ton of work in that space (removed wallpaper, replaced a toilet, replaced the sink/vanity, and tiled an accent wall), we could never decide on the right curtain or shade for the space. So when Smith & Noble contacted me to collaborate on a post, I knew I’d finally get that window dressed- and dressed in style! Oh, and the generous folks at Smith & Noble are offering one of my fabulous readers a merchandise credit of $500 (keep reading for details!)
Before I dive into the details of my new curtains, let me just say that at Smith & Noble, window treatments are elevated to a very luxurious, sophisticated level at very reasonable prices! Since 1987, Smith & Noble has been a leader in the window treatment marketplace and their current offerings include a wide variety of products, including curtains, shades, shutters, hardware & valances, among other home accessories. I love that they take child safety very seriously, and many of their products have cordless options (to keep the little ones safe from dangling cords). What really sets Smith & Noble apart from other retailers is their concierge-like services. From their Measure & Install service (a convenient, fool-proof option to let a pro handle the whole process from beginning to end) to Design Consulting (expert interior designer feedback to ensure that the window treatments complement your space), they have a number of useful services designed to make life easier. Whether you’re looking for style, privacy, light-blocking, or all of the above, there are products at Smith & Noble specifically designed to fit your needs. Oh, and don’t forget they offer 30 free samples so you can try out a particular pattern or fabric in your space before purchasing.
Today I want to share with you my new bathroom curtains, as well as walk you through the process of measuring, ordering and installing curtains from Smith & Noble. Let’s get to the details, shall we?
Custom Window Treatments: Master Bathroom Upgrade
Before ordering any window treatments online, it is necessary to first take accurate measurements of the window. Here is the window I decided to upgrade!
Here are some tips when measuring your own windows:
1. Use a metal measuring tape to ensure accuracy.
2. Even if two windows in one room look alike, measure each one individually & carefully.
3. If the space in your room allows it, try to position your curtains so that they lay several inches above and to the sides of your windows. This little trick will make your windows (and thereby, your space) appear drastically larger!
For a longer list of measurement tips, along with a guide for selecting the mounting type, check out this useful Measurement Guide from Smith & Noble!
Once you have recorded your measurements, now it is time to order your windows.
Ok, this is probably the most fun part, because there are so many amazing fabrics and customizations. You can have input in the exact way your window treatment looks and operates! I ordered curtains, so the first step was selecting the fabric I wanted. I have to say that their selection really strikes the perfect balance between timeless and trendy. The fabric patterns felt fresh, but still classic. It was actually hard to narrow it down to one fabric, but I chose the Filigree / Stone. I love how their website is so user-friendly; it automatically displays the fabric and options that you have selected in a little preview window so you can really visualize the final product.
After selecting your fabric, the next step is entering the dimensions of your window. This will then give you a base price for your curtains. There are a few more options to select at this point. You can customize the number of panels & the color of the grommets. Also note that a 200% fullness factor is built in to make sure your curtains look plush & luxurious! You can also customize the curtains with lining and trim. Smith & Noble is really putting you in the driver’s seat, so you can basically design & order the curtains of your dreams!
Now that you have ordered your curtains, don’t forget to order the curtain hardware, as well. I ordered the Cosmopolitan Petite Rod set in Chrome. Again, there are many customization options. You can obviously select the color & size of the rod, as well as the mounting style. You can also pick your favorite finial to go on the ends of the rod. Additionally, you can order a wand (to keep you from touching the gorgeous fabric) and a tie-back (to easily keep the curtain open.)
Once the curtains are delivered, it is time to install them!
So here are the steps I followed (as well as some tips) for installing curtain rods and curtains! It’s really easy and only requires a few basic tools and about 15 minutes! Here are the tools I used:
1. In order to install the rod brackets, use a pencil to mark the spots where the screws will go.
2. Use a level to ensure that the rod will be perfectly straight.
3. Once you are satisfied that the rod will be straight, drill pilot holes with an appropriately-sized drill bit. If you hit a stud, great! If not, tap an anchor into the hole first.
4. Drive screws into the holes through the bracket, securing the bracket to the wall.
5. The next step is to attach the front part of the bracket (the part that will actually hold the rod). You simply slide this front part onto the part that is already attached to the wall. Secure it with the small screws provided. (Please note that it slides forward or backward to allow you to customize the distance between wall and curtain.)
5. The next step is the installation of the curtain tie-back. In order to mount it to the wall, first unscrew the nut in the back. This will release the mounting component (the flat piece of metal with 4 holes). Use this as a template to mark the position of 4 holes in the wall. Drill pilot holes and secure the mounting component to the wall with the screws provided.
6. In order to secure the tie-back to the wall, simply screw it directly onto the screw that is sticking out of the mounting bracket.
7. Place the curtain rod onto the rod brackets and admire your hard work. Now all that’s left is the curtain! Looking good!
6. Unscrew one finial, slide the curtain onto the rod, replace the finial and place the rod onto the brackets. Secure the rod onto the brackets with the small screws provided. Voila!
And it looks quite stunning even when the curtains are open, doesn’t it?
What a beautiful difference these curtains have made to this room!
Now, it’s Giveaway Time! Smith & noble is hosting this giveaway and entrants will be vying for a prize of a $500 credit to their site for the purchase of window treatments! See the giveaway widget below for more details. The only required entry is subscribing to our mailing lists. After that, you can earn more entries by liking Smith & Noble or Engineer Mommy on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram!
I’d like to extend a big Thank You to Smith & Noble for sponsoring today’s conversation and for hosting such a fabulous giveaway. If you’re in the market for window treatments, you have to check out Smith & Noble, where you can get luxurious window treatments (customized with every detail according to your preferences) at affordable prices!
FTC Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Smith & Noble, but all opinions expressed in this post are exclusively my own!