As we are planning on listing our home on the market within the next few months, we are trying to stage each room to look its best so that we can hopefully get top dollar on our property. Staging a home is all about making it look its best so that a potential buyer that sees it really wants to live there. It’s about decluttering and cleaning the space, but also about setting an ambience to a potential home buyer.
Even if you are not selling your home or planning on selling your home, these tips below will show you how to make your home look its best to your guests, visitors and yourself. After all, who doesn’t want to walk into a home that looks like a lived-in showroom?
Staging tips to sell your home for top dollar
- Declutter: Remove any items that do not add to the décor aspect of your room. Also consider paring down your furniture and your room will look bigger.
- Float your furniture: Contrary to popular belief, pushing your furniture against the wall will not make your room look bigger. Instead, floating your furniture in the room will make it look bigger. Group your living room furniture into cozy arrangements that facilitate conversations.
- Neutral paint: Buyers may not love that bright green wall you have in your living room, so make sure all paint is neutral to please the masses. It doesn’t have to be beige, but it does have to be neutral.
- Clean & Modern Tiles: If the tiles in your bath have mold, use a spray bottle with a solution of water & bleach and spray down the tiles. Scrub the mold away. If the tiles are dated, consider painting, rather than replacing, the tiles. Tile paint these days can be used to update bathroom tiles in a couple hours.
- Unisex master bedroom: Make sure the colors, bedding and accessories in the master bedroom are not too gender-specific. They must appeal to both sexes. Consider neutral colors, a modern geometric bedding and a few simple accessories.
- Depersonalize: Even if you personally love the two dozen pictures of your kids all over your house, a potential buyer will get distracted by them. The goal when selling a home is to keep distractions to a minimum- we want the buyer to focus on the important, permanent things that are part of the house.
These tips above are useful when for any time you want your home to look its best, but they are particularly important when you are trying to sell your house on the market. Good luck!
Over the next few weeks, I will be sharing before and after pictures of our home as I move from room to room staging it to look its best.