These cupcakes are so full of healthful ingredients, I feel funny about even calling them cupcakes. They are more like little vegetable cakes. They are chock full of carrots and zucchini. Oh, and my husband loves them!
Carrot zucchini cupcakes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp artificial sweetener (I use Splenda)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1.5 cups water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the oil, sugar and applesauce to a uniform consistency. Add eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the first bowl.
- Fold in the zucchini and carrots. Fill cupcake tins and bake for about 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and the sides of the cupcake start to come away from the edges.
- Let cupcakes cool for 20 minutes.
- For the icing, combine the cream cheese and sugar until the mixture is uniform. Add the water slowly until the consistency is that of a syrup.
- Dip the cupcakes into the icing and chill them to let the icing set.