How to Have More ChillMarch 28, 2022
I’ve always been a Type-A personality. I remember back in high school, I would study and study and study for hours until I mastered the material. Over the years, however, I learned to tame that desire for perfection and simply accept good-enough. I still have days, where my to-do list is a mile long and I literally feel like I’m juggling twenty things at a time, but I’ve seriously gotten so much better with balance.
If you’re striving for more chill in your life, here are some techniques to keep in mind:
- Take a break & log off
- In our society, there’s a tendency to go-go-go all day long, but that almost always results in burnout sooner or later. We all need to find downtime not just to unwind and relax, but also to pursue our passions and improve our productivity. I actually learned that work productivity is increased when we take regular breaks from work.
- Avoid the temptation to be on call
- In our culture of texting, it can sometimes feel tempting to respond right away. However, I’m a big proponent of taking your time to get back to others. Remember that you are not on call. You do not need to feel obligated to be by your phone all day long. Personally, I like to batch respond to texts a few times per day so I’ll sometimes take a few hours to get back to others..and that’s perfectly fine.
- Trust your instincts more
- We all have situations, where we are not sure how to proceed. Do we respond to that message? Do we forgive and forget? Trust your gut more often in cases like these; it can help guide you to make the best decision.
- Avoid drama & gossip
- There was a time in my life, where I might not shy away from drama. Now I simply don’t allow it in my life. I have made a conscious decision not to put up with unnecessary drama – or people who always bring drama to the table. And guess what? I’m happier because of it!
- Don’t sweat the small stuff
- Yes, this is often easier said than done, but the truth remains that the small stuff – missing the train or chipping your nail – is never worth more than a fleeting thought. Life is about the big picture: the health and happiness of your family. Don’t worry about all the daily minutiae and you’ll find yourself a much more chill person!