The Importance of HomeApril 15, 2019
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Habitat for Humanity’s Home is the Key campaign and its corporate partners. I couldn’t be more excited to partner with this organization to spread the word about their worthwhile mission. All opinions are mine alone. #HomeIsTheKey
I think we all have a tendency to take things for granted from time to time. I’ll be the first to admit that everyday life can get so busy at times that it’s very easy to stress out over that broken vase or that missed train. However, at the end of the day, the most important things in life are not in fact things – they are family and that sense of togetherness! For me, my home is integral in this equation because it’s where we all gather and where we feel safe & happy together. Indeed Home is the Key!
For me, home represents comfort, security and nostalgia. It’s where my kids took their first steps and where my kids spoke their first words. It’s where my husband reads to our kids every evening before bedtime.
Home is where I sit down with Sophia after school and help her with her homework. She has been working on two-digit division problems and as an engineer myself, I get so excited watching her master mathematical concepts. Proud mama over here!
Home is where I sit down on the floor and play with Charlotte. I still cannot believe she is in Kindergarten this year. I savor every moment that she still wants to sit and play games with me. I know time is flying by all too quickly.
Home is where I prepare meals for the family so we can all sit down around the dining table together and catch up after a long day.
Indeed home means everything to me and decent shelter is something we all need! However, did you know that there is not a single state in our nation where a person working full-time at the federal minimum wage can afford the local fair-market rent for a two-bedroom apartment? What’s even scarier is that 1 in 6 families pay half or more of their income on their housing costs, sometimes even having to sacrifice nutritious food, transportation or even medicines. Shocking, right? This is the problem that Habitat for Humanity is trying to reverse.
Wondering exactly how Habitat for Humanity helps people become homeowners? Well, they don’t just give away houses. Potential homeowners actually put in a lot of sweat equity and then they pay an affordable mortgage. The homeowners also receive financial education and training to help them succeed. By creating homeowners, Habitat for Humanity actually fosters long-term stability in the lives of millions. Since 1976, Habitat for Humanity has transformed the lives of over 22 million people!
This year, Habitat for Humanity is partnering with At Home (the home décor superstore) for the third annual Home is the Key campaign. By purchasing specific products from At Home, you can give back to Habitat for Humanity and help them build self-reliance for millions through shelter. Which products qualify? Well, At Home will donate $4.55 to Habitat for Humanity for each exclusive coaster set sold during April and May. Cute coasters and helping a worthwhile cause!! That sounds like a WIN to me!
In addition to purchasing the coaster set from At Home, here are some other ways you can support Habitat for Humanity:
- Donating money in-store at the register.
- Donating online at habitat.org.
- Shopping at a local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
- Purchasing products during April that support Habitat.
- Helping with home builds through April via a local Habitat. Habitat builds homes in communities throughout the 50 states and 70 countries throughout the world.
In addition to At Home, Habitat for Humanity has partnered with a number of other brands too. Here are other products you can purchase this month to help Habitat for Humanity.
- Chico’s: Every sale of a signature Slub Tee Shirt from April 1 – May 31 will support Habitat, as well as $5 from the sale of each gift card over $25 in value, up to $100,000. Here I’m wearing the Slub Tee Shirt. Isn’t it so chic?! It’s also super comfy!
- White House Black Market: From April 1 – May 31, White House Black Market will donate $5 from the sale of each gift card over $25 in value, up to $50,000. By the way, these sunglasses are from White House Black Market.
- Soma Intimates: From April 1 – May 31, Soma will donate $5 from the sale of each gift card over $25 in value, up to $50,000.
- O-Cedar: O-Cedar will donate $1 to Habitat for Humanity for every ProMist MAX Microfiber Spray Mop sold by O-Cedar to any U.S. retail channel in the U.S. from April 1 to June 15. I’ve been using an O-Cedar mop and can attest to its awesome cleaning power. If you’re in the market for a new mop, try this one!
- Nissan: Nissan will donate $5 every time #HomeIsTheKey is shared on social media in April. So share on social media using this hashtag and tell your friends to do the same.
Don’t forget to learn more about how you can help Habitat for Humanity here. Are you aware of the housing crisis in this country? How do you plan to help Habitat for Humanity?