Strawberry Pop-tart Pie w/ Fruit Loop CrustAugust 17, 2015
Now that Back to School season is in full swing, I’ve been thinking about all the ways I can help Sophia (4 years old) be well prepared for Pre-K. One of the most important things I’ve always done with her is to sit and read books with her! She’s always loved books, and definitely has her favorite ones! As I’ve been looking through her little library that we’ve curated over the years, I’ve decided she could use a few new books! Instead of heading to the store to buy books, I recently learned of a new offer by Kellogg’s: when you buy one of their select products at Sam’s Club, they will give you a free book & donate another one to a school in-need! How awesome is that?! We already purchase Kellogg’s products all the time, and now we’ll get some free books, too! #Back2SchoolStockUp #CollectiveBias
I’ve always encouraged my girls to choose books that speak to them. Whenever I’m sitting down to read them something, I usually let them pick the book… or multiple books (as is often the case!) We’ve made it a routine that we’ll read one book together in the morning and then another one right before bedtime. Occasionally, we’ll have a middle-of-the-day storytime, too! We have a huge variety of books in our little collection- from princess story books to educational science books and everything in between. My husband and I have always been very focused on encouraging early literacy with Sophia & teaching her the fundamentals of phonics. So you can bet I was pretty excited when I learned about the Kellogg’s offer for free Scholastic books!
The way it works is pretty simple. After you purchase select products, you log on to a webpage and submit a special code. Then you choose a book for yourself (from over 80 different titles), and the second book is automatically donated by Sam’s Club to a pre-selected, local school in need. You can redeem up to 30 books, and they even have Spanish titles and e-Books! I love that a second book is automatically donated to a local school! They make it so easy to give back to the community!
In order to get my Kellogg’s products, I went to Sam’s Club & purchased a few of our favorite household staples (Pop-tarts® Frosted Strawberry & Froot Loops™.) I used those ingredients to make a really fun, festive recipe for a Strawberry Pop-tart Pie with Fruit Loop Crust! Here’s a sneak peek at the pie!
Strawberry Pop-tart Pie w/ Fruit Loop Crust
Looks yummy, right? The recipe for the pie is below, but I first wanted to show you how easy it is to redeem your books online! The first thing I did was head over to my local Sam’s Club. I love shopping there, because I always know I’m getting a great value for my money. And I love purchasing items in bulk- it means less trips lugging the kids to the store! We were able to find the Pop-tarts in the front of the store and the Fruit Loops in the cereal aisle.
It’s so simple to redeem the books. Here are the steps!
1. Buy any of the 13 specially-marked Kellogg’s products at Sam’s Club. Make sure to look for the right logo!
2. Visit the redemption webpage here.
3. Click on “ENTER CODE NOW.”
4. Click on “GET STARTED” to redeem without signing into Kellogg’s Family Rewards OR click “LOG IN” to redeem through your Kellogg’s Family Rewards account.
5. Complete all the blanks required, including the 16-digit code found inside your package.
6. On the “Thanks” page, click “redeem page” to go to the book redemption page.
7. Click on “ORDER NOW” to select the book you’d like to order.
8. After you’ve selected your book, click on “Add to Cart.” If all the information is correct, click on “Continue to checkout.” My daughter and I chose the “Clifford’s Birthday Party” book, as she has read other Clifford books in the past. She’s a huge fan of that adorable big, red dog!
9. Check the point authorization statement and click on “Continue to checkout” again.
10. If everything looks accurate, click on “Place my order.”
And that’s it! Your book will arrive in the mail in no more than 8 weeks! Sophia is super excited to receive her new book! I love that it’s free, and I love that Sam’s Club will also be donating another book to a local organization that is in need!
Now, are you ready to learn how to make a Strawberry Pop-tart Pie w/ Fruit Loop Crust? Trust me, it’s easier than it sounds!
1.5 cups Froot Loop cereal
2/3 cup butter
1 tub frozen whipped topping
4 individual Strawberry Frosted Pop-tarts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the Froot Loop cereal in a food processor. Pulse until you have a fine grind.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the ground cereal and the butter until you have the consistency of a paste. Add more cereal if it’s too wet or add more butter if it’s too dry. Spread the Froot Loop mixture into a pie pan, pressing it down. Bake it in the oven for 10-13 minutes, until it starts to darken a bit.
3. Take 3 of the Pop-tarts and chop them into small cubes.
4. Combine the chopped Pop-tarts with the frozen whipped topping.Remove the pie pan from the oven. Let cool fully. Pour the Pop-tart and whipped topping mixture into the pie pan.
5. Drizzle with strawberry syrup.
6. Top with sprinkles & the final chopped Pop-tart.
This is a yummy treat that the kids can enjoy when they come home from school! Featuring all the favorite and familiar snacks of children everywhere, this festive pie is fabulous way to make any ol’ day feel extraordinary- maybe it’s an upcoming birthday, a back-to-school celebration, a first day of school party, etc.
This Strawberry Pop-tart Pie was a hit in this household, and let me just say, the pie did not last long at all!
We love shopping at Sam’s Club, and we were there again earlier this weekend to pick up a few more staples for the house. There was a demo event for Kellogg’s® Fruity Snacks, and my girls had a blast enjoying their little samples while we shopped!
If you’d like to sample some of the tasty Kellogg’s products, check out this list here of Sam’s Clubs with demos to find one near you on 8/22/15 and 8/23/15!
If you’d like to try this recipe yourself, be sure to head over to Sam’s Club to pick up Kellogg’s Pop-tarts and Fruit Loops! Not a member at Sam’s Club? Not a problem! Bring this invitation printed out to the Member Services Desk at your local Sam’s Club for a pass to shop for the day. A 10% service fee applies on all non-member purchases when shopping with this One-Day Pass (not applicable in CA, SC or Elmsford, NY). The 10% service fee does not apply if the non-member decides to join the Club at the time of purchase.
So tell me in the Comments below: what are your favorite Kellogg’s back-to-school treats for the kids?
I had never really looked into the book thing before! I am going to have to get on board with that.
And the pie? My kids thank you in advance haha
Yes, it’s such an easy way to get a free book and give one to a school in need!
And you’re welcome, Rachel’s kids!! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by, Rachel!
Looks like your kids had fun at the Sam’s Club demo! I love that Kellogg’s and Scholastic have partnered to help families and schools build their libraries. #client
Yes, they always have fun at Sam’s Club! I’m going to be buying some more Kellogg’s products this weekend and redeeming for even more books- so much fun! Thanks for stopping by, Carrie!
Ha! What a neat dessert!
Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!
Thanks Jess! My kids (and I) really loved this one!!