Gluten free spaghetti and sauce with hidden veggiesOctober 25, 2014
This recipe for a gluten free spaghetti meal with secret hidden veggies is sure to get your pickiest little eaters eating their daily serving of veggies!
Do you have kids that are maybe a bit reluctant to eat veggies everyday? Maybe they’d rather have a cookie or chips? Join the club! But fear not, fellow moms (and dads, of course)! I have a recipe for you today that will change everything you ever knew about spaghetti and tomato sauce!
This recipe has a ton of veggies hidden into the sauce and your kid will likely not even realize they’re there! Not a bad thing! Not a bad thing, at all!
The secret here is to run your veggies (carrots, onions and celery, in this case) through a food processor (or heavy-duty blender) to get teeny tiny pieces of vegetables mixed in throughout the pasta sauce. Once you add your spaghetti and ground meat, the veggies will hardly be recognizable!
In case you were wondering, no I am not above this trickery. Not when it comes to feeding my two young kids healthy foods! Here is the recipe!
gluten free spaghetti and sauce with hidden veggies
- 1 small white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bag carrots, peeled, washed and roughly chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, washed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 package ground turkey
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 box brown rice spaghetti pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- Throw your roughly chopped onions, carrots and celery into a food processer and pulse until a small mince is achieved. Process the vegetables in batches if your food processer is not large enough to accommodate all the veggies at once.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the ground turkey. Cook until the turkey is browned and cooked throughout.
- Add the minced onions, carrots and celery to the cooked ground turkey in the pan. Cook until the vegetables have softened a bit, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the basil, oregano and marjoram. Toss in the cooked spaghetti pasta and a full jar of the pasta sauce.
- Continue cooking until all ingredients are combined and heated thoroughly. Transfer to a large serving dish.
Here is what they look like when they come out!
I love sneaking in veggies when and where I can. I’ll have to whip up a batch because it looks fabulous.
Thank you for linking up with #FoodieFridays! Stop by this Friday to see if you were featured!
Thanks! I know… isn’t sneaking in veggies like part of our jobs as moms? Have a wonderful weekend!