Travel Tips with KidsDecember 24, 2011
If you’re going to be going on a road trip in the near future, then check out these tips for a stress-free journey with the little ones.
- If your child is old enough, play a game in the car to keep her busy. A round of “Family Trivia” will keep their minds and bodies occupied.
- If you’re fielding an “Are we there yet?” question, give the child a map and ask him to estimate the remaining time in the car, assuming he is old enough.
- Carry plenty of snacks. A thermos for each person in the car is a good idea. Fill it with something that will quench thirst, like Gatorade. Also pack ziploc bags full of snacks, like pretzels, popcorn, and cookies.
- If you have a portable DVD player, get a few new movies (from the library to save money) and play them during the ride. This will surely entertain the kids for a while (assuming the movie is not a snooze-fest!)
- If you’re traveling with babies or toddlers, get one of those microwaveable steam sterilizer bags to disinfect pacifiers, bottles, etc. Almost every hotel nowadays will have a microwave available for guest use.
Even if the ride is less than peacefully quiet (read: screaming baby and whining toddler), know that you did your best to make it a smooth one!