Are you gearing up for Halloween? We are so excited for Halloween this year! We just moved into our current house a few months ago, and I’ve been really enjoying decorating for the different seasons & holidays! And with Halloween just about a month away, I’ve been really looking forward to all the fun festivities of Halloween. The costumes, the trick-or-treating, the decor – I love it all! One thing I’m especially excited about is participating in the #BOOItForward campaign this year! The way it works is simple: you simply BOO someone (surprise them with some delicious candy and a printable card), and then they #BOOItForward (pass on the surprise to another person)! I decided to BOO my neighbor, who also happens to be my friend. In order to BOO her, I created a fun little BOO Kit! Part of this BOO Kit is a DIY Haunted House (made from an old shoe box). The haunted house features a candy roof, with small M&M’s® bags as roof shingles! And I further completed the scene with a spooky monster pole and a witch’s cauldron! How fun?! #CollectiveBias
Want a sneak peek at the haunted house I made?
DIY Haunted House BOO Kit
Ok, let’s get to the details now! The first thing I did was head over to Walmart to pick up my supplies & ingredients! I shop at Walmart probably three times a week (at least!) I love going there to pick up stuff because it’s a single store that I can find so many different products for the house. And of course, the affordable prices keep me coming back! For this project, I found the Chocolate Mix Fun Size Candy featured in an aisle end cap and I found the Halloween sodas in the regular soda aisle!
Here are the products I brought home: the 7UP® 8oz 6pk Halloween Cans, the A&W 8oz 6pk Halloween Cans and the Chocolate Mix Fun Size bag!
Now, are you ready to see how I put together the DIY Haunted House? Here is the super simple tutorial!
7UP® 8oz 6pk Halloween Cans
A&W 8oz 6pk Halloween Cans
Chocolate Mix Fun Size bag
old shoe box & some extra cardboard
construction paper, various colors
Halloween-themed foam stickers
1. First, we will make the shape of a pitched roof! Cut two rectangles and two triangles from the cardboard, such that the rectangle widths and the triangle bases are equal in length to the shoe box depth! See the picture below to see the sizes of my cardboard pieces.
2. Paint the cardboard pieces black. Then, using hot glue, attach the two triangles to the top of the shoe box.
3. Using hot glue, attach the two rectangles to complete the pitched roof. Secure with extra hot glue along all seams.
4. Adhere orange construction paper to the front of the house using craft glue.
5. Print out the template for the windows, doors and wooden boards (get my free template here!) Cut out the various elements from the template and adhere to the front of the house using craft glue.
6. Adorn the house with various Halloween elements, including foam stickers (black cat, pumpkin, & ghosts), googly eyes, and black spiders! Add a pair of wooden boards (from the free template) across a few windows, forming an “X” shape!
7. Now, let’s work on the candy roof! Using small strips of double-sided tape, adhere the M&M’s® bags to the roof in rows, starting from the bottom and working your way upward. Stacking the bags in this way makes them look a bit like roof shingles… delicious roof shingles!!
8. Now, to complete the BOO Kit, I stacked the soda cans, alternating between the A&W 8oz cans and the 7UP® 8oz cans. I made sure the monster images on the cans all face forward to form a fun pole of monsters next to the house! Also, I found a small cauldron at Walmart and I filled it with SNICKERS® & TWIX® fun size bars! A black-painted dowel rod completes the look of a witch’s cauldron!
9. The final step is to download & print the BOO Card from this webpage here! First, cut out the “WE’VE BEEN BOO’D” sign. Then, fold the “YOU’VE BEEN BOO’D” greeting card and tape the edges together! Include both the card & sign when gifting the BOO Kit! And that’s it!
It’s such a fun way to surprise someone, and gift them with delicious treats, this Halloween season! Doesn’t that candy roof look yummy? And it’s super easy for the BOO Kit recipient to take one (or two or three) bags of candy!
Or they can select a treat from the witch’s cauldron! Yum!
Thirsty? Just grab a can of soda from the fun monster pole!
This was such a fun little project! I set up my BOO Kit on my neighbor’s front porch steps. Here is what it looked like!
She really got a kick out of the whole concept! She told me she will be passing it forward and BOO’ing another neighbor over the next week or so! How fun and festive!
Oh, and don’t forget to enter the sweepstakes below for a chance to win a $1000 Walmart eGift Card!!
Before you buy some of this soda, be sure to use this coupon: Save $1.00 on TWO (2) 2L or 6pk 8oz cans of any flavor Sunkist® Soda, 7UP®, Canada Dry®, A&W®, Squirt®, or Sun Drop®. Just click here for the coupon!
Now, are you ready to make your own BOO Kit? See more ideas on BOO Kits here! Then BOO a friend or relative, tag them on social media and tell them to #BOOItForward ! So, tell me in the Comments below: who will you be BOO’ing this year?