Transfer image to wood: a DIY silhouette decor ideaApril 24, 2014
When I was thinking about my girls’ nursery décor, I knew I wanted it to be personal. I wanted it to be a handpicked selection of cute and customized pieces.
So since I have two girls, I thought transferring the image of a girl silhouette holding a balloon onto a piece of wood would be an adorable way to personalize the space a bit. But I had to figure out how to transfer an image to wood.
Image transfer to wood is really not hard at all. In fact, all it takes is a printout of your design onto printer paper. An inkjet printer works fine for this project (it’s what I used!) Let’s get started!
Transfer image to wood: a DIY decor idea
- Make sure your piece of wood is clean and free of lint. If you want a particular background color or stain applied to your wood, do it now!
- Print out your image onto printer paper. Make sure you size it according to the dimensions of your piece of wood.
- Turn the paper over and place it on top of your wood so that the printed part is facing the wood.
- Using a wet cotton ball, moisten the back of the printer paper so that it is wet but not dripping.
- Using the back of a pen, press down on your printer paper outlining your design and pushing the printer ink through to the wood.
- Peel off a corner of the paper and check for completeness. If the image transfer is not complete, repeat the wetting and rubbing steps until the image transfer is complete.
- This left a pretty visible outline on my piece of wood. I was then able to use a small craft paintbrush to fill in the girl silhouette using coordinating colors.
This was such an easy and quick way to transfer image to wood, I am totally going to be doing this again with other ideas. This would be a great method for transferring typography to wood or transferring simple photo images to wood. The possibilities with this are truly endless!