Have you priced custom photo canvases recently? The prices are quite high! I have found that it is possible to transfer photos to canvas at home for an easy homemade canvas art. This process is quite easy and straightforward. And you don’t need any fancy supplies or equipment. Most of this stuff is probably already in your house. Let’s get started, shall we?
How to transfer photos to canvas
- A few sheets of white tissue paper
- Modge Podge
- Plain white canvas in your choice of size (I used 8×10″)
- Some scotch tape
- Pick a piece of tissue paper that is smooth (not too wrinkled) and cut it so it is about 1 inch larger on each side than a piece of standard printer paper (8.5×11″). Fold over each edge around the printer paper and use tape to adhere it on the back.
- Print your desired image on the tissue paper. Tip: Ensure you feed the tissue paper into the printer so that the image prints directly on the tissue paper.
- After the print is completed, remove the tape and pull the tissue paper off the printer paper. Be delicate with it because it is very fragile.
- Spread a generous coating of Modge Podge on the canvas and then place the tissue paper on top. Wrap the tissue paper around the canvas.
- Cover with another layer of Modge Podge for protection.
That’s it! Let it dry and hang it up! This works because the tissue paper is sooo thin that it conforms to the natural bumps and ridges of the canvas thereby making it look like the canvas itself contains the printed image.
Looking for more DIY art inspiration? Check out these other favorite posts below:
DIY Herringbone Wall Art