DIY BB cream: make your own BB creamJune 26, 2014
BB cream is all the rage these days. In case you haven’t heard of it before, BB cream stands for beauty balm and is designed to combine multiple products together. BB cream typically combines the following products:
- a moisturizer with SPF
- a foundation
- a concealer
- a serum
Sometimes there are even more components that are added in for extra benefits, including anti-aging ingredients or skin brightening ingredients. These are optional, however, in this DIY BB cream version.
A huge benefit of BB creams is that they save time… instead of slathering on three or four multiple products all over your face, you simply swipe this one multi-purpose ingredient on, and YOU’RE DONE! Nice and easy! Easy peasy!
With two young kids at home, I love me a time-saver!! Don’t you?
DIY BB cream: make your own BB cream
- facial moisturizer, preferably with SPF (I usually have this one in the house)
- skin primer (I love the feel of a makeup primer, and I usually have this one from Sephora)
- foundation product (I actually use this one from Benefit, but it’s a bit too dark for my skin tone all on its own, so this method also helps to match it to my skin tone)
- facial illuminator (I love this one a whole lot and use it all alone under my eyebrows or on my cheeks for added brightness in the evenings if I’m going out)
- concealer (I use this one and I love how it never gets cake-y on my skin!)
- Simply mix all ingredients in a small glass or plastic bowl.
- Apply to face. Here is the BB cream applied to my hand.
TIP #1: You can start with roughly equal portions of each ingredient (say, 1 teaspoon). Store any leftover product for the next day. Depending on the consistency of all your individual products, you may want to add some water to the final mixture to ensure the final product is not too thick. Add water, if necessary, to ensure a spread-able consistency. BB creams are fairly thin, after all!
*TIP #2: Another option is to mix up this DIY BB cream on an as-needed basis. This means that you just add a drop or so of each ingredient on the back of your hand, mix them together and apply it immediately to your face. This is how I typically prefer to whip up my DIY BB cream- it’s always freshly mixed and I have plenty of all my ingredients in their pure form… so if I need just moisturizer or just concealer one day, I always have them on hand.