This recipe for Colorful Fruity Cereal Balls is so simple and takes so little time to prepare, you will surely make this colorful and sweet treat a part of your regular rotation. Consisting of only a few ingredients and not requiring any baking time, this recipe is definitely one of the shorter ones I’ve seen for a dessert so loved and adored by my kids. The finished product – perfectly round, sweet balls of marshmallow goodness and crunchy, colorful cereal – looks so appealing to little ones, they are sure to gobble up how ever many you put in front of them. If you are trying to limit the amount of sugar your young child consumes, then simply save this recipe for holidays, parties or other special occasions. It may not be low in sugar, but it sure is high in taste!
When I first made this recipe, my 3-year old exclaimed in excitement, “Can I have one of those color balls?” 🙂 Now, she knows them as my Fruity Cereal Balls, and she loves them! The 15-month old isn’t allowed to nosh on a lot of sweets, so she doesn’t get a whole ball all to herself. That being said, I do allow her to have several small bites here and there.
Let’s get to the recipe now, shall we?
Colorful Fruity Cereal Balls
- 1.5 cups small marshmallows
- 2 cups fruity rice cereal like this Fruity Pebbles one
- Place all the marshmallows in a microwaveable bowl and set the time for 45 seconds. Take the bowl out and stir the marshmallows around. They should start to soften.
- Place them back in the microwave for another 15 seconds, and then stir again. Continue microwaving them in 15 second increments, until all the marshmallows are soft and homogenous.
- Stir in the cereal a little at a time until they have combined fully with the melted marshmallows. Let the mixture cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Now it’s time to start rolling the balls. I find it’s easier to roll the balls and minimize a big, sticky mess by either wetting my hands with cold water or by spraying my hands with non-stick cooking spray. Then grab a small amount (about 1/4 cup measure) of the marshmallow-cereal mixture and form into balls. Place on wax paper.
- Continue until you have rolled out your entire portion into balls. Set in the refrigerator for a few hours to firm up.