This is a sponsored post written by me for Glass Doctor. All opinions are mine alone.
Cleaning may be a chore, but let’s be honest… there’s nothing more satisfying than transforming a cloudy, dusty window into a brilliant, streak-free masterpiece. Over the years, I have found that the right tools (and the right technique) make a big difference in cleaning windows. If you want to make your windows sparkly-clean in no time, keep reading for my best tips… from always starting at the top to using Glass Doctor Glass Cleaner.
Before getting started, gather the right tools and products:
- Glass Doctor window spray
- microfiber cloths
- dish soap
- rubber gloves
Start by mixing one part of warm water with one part of dish soap. Dip the sponge in that mixture and apply to the window to remove dirt, dust, spots, and more. Start from the top and wipe all the way to the bottom. I am working on this glass storm door adjacent to our backyard patio. It’s constantly exposed to the elements so the glass can get quite grimy. This first step helps to remove the majority of the grime, dirt, and debris.
Next remove the water from the glass using the squeegee. I like to wipe the window from side to side with the squeegee, starting at the top. Nothing removes water from a window better than a squeegee!
Finally, I use the microfiber cloth to buff out any excess water remaining on the glass.
For streak-free windows that shine for a long time, I next use Glass Doctor’s Glass Cleaner. This product both cleans and polishes and is suitable on auto glass, windows, mirrors and patio doors.
Hold can upright around 10″ away from the glass and spray onto the glass.
Finally use the microfiber cloth again to wipe away the solution from the glass. Buff with a dry microfiber towel. Voila!
Here are some extra tips & tricks to keep in mind when cleaning glass surfaces:
- Clean from top to bottom. You don’t want to clean a section of your window and then have glass cleaner drip onto previously-cleaned sections. Always start at the top and work your way down the window.
- A squeegee is essential for cleaning glass surfaces. Nothing removes water from the surface of glass more evenly and effectively. Bonus: this one tool will do double-duty on shower stalls!
- Use cotton swabs to tackle the corners of windows. Know that one spot all the way in the corner that is hard to reach with a microfiber towel? A cotton swab makes the perfect tool!
- If you have hard water in your home, consider using distilled water in your cleaning routine. Hard water is laden with minerals that may be visible on glass surfaces.
- To combat streaks in the glass, use small circular motions with the microfiber towel and alternate directions often. By wiping in different directions each time, you will reduce the likelihood of streaks.
- Finish by buffing with a dry microfiber towel. A dry microfiber towel will make quick work of any remaining window streaks.
With the right tools & techniques, cleaning your windows does not have to be a chore you dread!
It can actually be incredibly satisfying to look at your finished windows once they are clean and bright and free of streaks!!
Need a glass service in your home or your car? Check out Glass Doctor for glass repair / replacement for your home, auto and business. Glass Doctor is actually part of the Neighborly™ community of home service experts. I love that Glass Doctor offers 24/7 emergency service for those can’t-wait-til-morning jobs. Plus, with upfront flat-rate pricing, bonded/insured professionals, and locations throughout the country, be sure to keep Glass Doctor in mind the next time you need your windows serviced by professionals.
What is your best tip for clean windows? How do you get a streak-free shine? Have you ever used Glass Doctor Glass Cleaner?