Essentials for a Good Night’s Sleep w/ Natures Novel MattressOctober 2, 2018
This is a sponsored post written by me for SweetZzz Mattress. All opinions are mine alone.
Getting enough sleep at night is essential, but sometimes we don’t wake up as restful as we would like. Today I’ll be sharing some of my best tips for a good night’s sleep. From using the right mattress to avoiding caffeine in the evening, let’s look at the ways you can enjoy a more restful night’s sleep!
1. Avoid caffeine after 3pm!
Nobody loves a good pick-me-up drink more than me. However, as much as I never want to go without a cup of tea or a latte at my side, I am generally pretty careful about a mid-afternoon caffeine cut-off. Otherwise, I’ve noticed firsthand how the caffeine from even a cup or two of tea in the late afternoon or evening can affect me as I’m lying down for the night a few hours later. My husband, on the other hand, can practically get up for a midnight cappuccino and be asleep again 15 minutes later. I’m sure we all know our individual capacities to handle caffeine, and for many of us, it can completely sabotage a good night’s sleep.
2. Invest in a great mattress!
When it comes to a great night’s sleep, the right mattress is everything! The Natures Novel Mattress from Sweet Zzz Mattress is such a smart choice. From the soft wool cover to the solid support of Talalay latex, this mattress is sure to provide a restful night’s sleep.
Here are some specific reasons why I’m loving this mattress:
- Natural Wool Cover: The only wool that’s suitable for both hot & cold weather is natural wool. It reacts to your temperature so it warms you up during winter and cools you off during summer. Plus, it’s hypoallergenic, fire-retardant and durable. Since it’s hypoallergenic, it’s the perfect choice for those with allergies, asthma or respiratory issues. This mattress is also naturally resistant to mold, mildew, bacteria and fungi. In fact, research from the University of Sydney has shown that using sleeping apparel & bedding made from wool results in a longer, deeper sleep.
- Natural Talalay Latex: The 100% natural natural Talalay latex is the perfect material for mattresses since it molds to the shape of your body. Plus, it’s strong, environmentally-friendly and hypoallergenic. Did you know that Talalay cells are 50% larger and do not trap heat? Since it’s perfectly breathable, it offers a cool, comfortable sleep. Sourced from rubber trees, this material is also renewable. The latex used in these mattresses features the Oeko-Tex Class I certification (that’s the highest rating possible for any mattress). This certification ensures that the products are free from harmful substances. This mattress does not “gas off”, so there’s no bad smell emanating from the latex.
- Made in the United States: Sweet Zzz Natures Novel Mattresses are all handmade in the United States. This makes it possible to ship mattresses within 5-8 business days, which is an awesome turnaround time. Plus, the free delivery & returns is a good indication that the company is committed to excellent customer service.
- Firmness Rating: This mattress has a 7.5 firmness rating (on a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the firmest). This firm support is perfect to keep the back & neck aligned, while still being comfortable for the shoulders, back and hips.
- Lifetime Warranty: This Natures Novel Mattress comes with a lifetime warranty and a 100-night trial. So you can try the mattress risk-free in your own home to test it out for a few months. Furthermore, the lifetime warranty ensures that the manufacturer will stand behind the mattress for years. If you need to finance the mattress, you’ll be happy to know that they offer 0% APR Financing.
If you’re thinking this mattress might be similar to other latex mattresses, then you’re wrong. In fact, there’s a big difference between the Talalay latex and Dunlop latex. Dunlop latex results in a final product that has a firm underside (best for bed cores / bases). On the other hand, Talalay latex production involves centrifuges, flash-freezing and baking, resulting in a resilient, breathable material that’s uniform throughout. This makes Talalay latex is a smart choice for mattresses!
I love that Sweet Zzz Mattress also gives back to the community. They are a proud member of 1% for the Planet, which is an organization dedicated to giving back to environmental causes. In addition, they have partnered with the LA Food Bank and The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Get $150 off any mattress, any size at Sweet Zzz Mattreess by clicking here! Use the promo code: ENGINEERMOMMY
3. Diffuse lavender essential oil!
I don’t know what it is about lavender. I like it enough, but it’s not really one of those fragrances that I can’t get enough of. That being said, lavender’s specific ability to promote a feeling of calm is a favorite tool of mine in my bedtime routine. There are so many easy ways to just get some lavender at your bedside. Whether it’s getting reed diffusers for the bedside table or using pillows, blankets, or even fuzzy slippers that have been lavender-infused, you can find so many lavender products at retailers nowadays.
4. Create an optimal sound environment!
At first, it can seem high-maintenance to create an optimal sound environment for sleep. But I have a hack or two that I use all the time to create a close-enough replica. Start with an old boombox or analog radio alarm clock. I noticed back when I used the “white noise” between radio stations to help soothe my babies to sleep as infants, it was sometimes working on me faster than it was on them! That fuzzy static, set to a low volume, is the perfect sound environment for sleep. Another idea is to just get a long nature-sounds playlist from a media streaming provider. Play it on low from a wireless speaker near your bedside and you will be amazed at the calm it produces.
5. Keep the bedroom at a comfortable temperature!
Have you ever noticed how hard it could be to get out from under the cozy covers when the rest of the room has awaken to a morning chill? It has been proven that a cool ambient temperature helps signal to the body to hunker down and rest. Ensure your thermostat is set to a comfortable, but definitely cool, range. This simple step goes a long way to promoting a good night of beauty rest.
6. Put away electronics!
When it comes to electronic devices, I know that I have to set a cutoff for myself, where the screen has to be turned off. Nowadays, my phone is just as much a culprit. I set a rule for my whole household: 9 PM, all screens go off. It has been shown that the kind of light waves emanating from our devices hinder to body’s natural ability to receive sleep signals. Without a deadline such as this, I could be up all night binge-watching shows, or spending hours on social media. That’s definitely not going to help me in the long run.
7. Create a meditation / yoga ritual!
The problem of insomnia can be confounded by many physical factors as mentioned above, but let’s face it, many of us have trouble turning our minds off when head hits the pillow. And that’s never going to be a completely forgotten phenomenon. But I’ve noticed that if I’m grappling with my to-do lists instead of blissfully counting sheep, it tells me I need to take steps during my day to make sure my mind is not overwhelmed. Yoga and/or meditation as an evening ritual, even for 15 minutes, can help clear the mind. And that is going to go a long way towards a peaceful night of rest.
Learn more about Nature’s Novel Mattress and tell me: How do you get a good night’s sleep?