Top 7 Things I Wish I Knew As A New MomApril 10, 2017
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FirstsMadeEasy #ForBetterBeginnings #MomsFirsts #CollectiveBias
Being a mom has been the most important and most rewarding job of my life. It’s a job that has no downtime and is full of challenges, but it’s also a job that has let me enjoy the miracle of raising a human being. Now that I have a 3 and 5 year old, I feel like I’ve learned quite a lot about babyhood and today, I’ll be sharing some of my best tips for first-time moms. From using the Playtex Baby™ Nurser with Drop-Ins® Liners to sleeping when baby sleeps, keep reading to get my top tips for new moms.
In 2011, when my first daughter was born, my life forever changed. In the weeks after Sophia was born, everything was new to me. How do I bathe baby? How will feeding go? Is that a diaper rash? How do I deal with colic? All those questions eventually got answered and by the time my second was born, I was much more prepared for the infancy period. Overall, being a mom has taught me so much about babies – and life, in general – and I’m excited to share some of these things with you.
Top 7 Things I Wish I Knew As A New Mom
1. Sleep when baby sleeps: Baby’s schedule will be quite unpredictable for the first few months, as that is an expected part of infancy. Don’t let insomnia get the better of you. Try to rest when baby sleeps. Here are some tips on sleeping whenever you can:
- Keep your bedroom cool and dark.
- Keep caffeine intake to a minimum.
- Practice deep breathing to relax.
- Use an oil diffuser with lavender to promote restfulness. (I loved my diffuser!)
2. Don’t sweat the small stuff: Being a new mom is quite an adventure. Everything is new and sometimes the unknown can be downright scary. To add to the unfamiliarity of everything, emotions will be running high after birth. Try to relax and not freak out about the everyday stuff. Is the kitchen a mess? Don’t worry about it. You can tackle that tomorrow. Did someone get ahead of you on line at the coffeehouse? Don’t stress out- it’s not important anyway. Focus on the big picture: spending quality time with this precious little human you brought into the world. When I look at her little face, I’m reminded of the big picture!
3. Pick the right baby gear: When it comes to baby gear, quality matters. That’s why we loved using Playtex Nursers with Drop-Ins Liners 4 Oz. We love Playtex Baby Bottles because they’re designed to reduce colic. BPA-free, Playtex bottles & nipples can be mixed & matched so you can find the perfect pair for your baby’s needs.
I love that Playtex Nursers with Drop-Ins Liners 4 Oz bottles are quite similar to the experience of breastfeeding. I did a lot of breastfeeding and I loved knowing that the bottle nipples were going to feel similar to my kids.
The nipple simulates the same suck, swallow & breathe patterns as breastfeeding. In particular, the Most Like Mom® NaturaLatch® Nipple is wide and has a textured surface, which promotes a natural latch. This makes it easier to switch between breast and bottle, which is perfect for mom & baby.
This Playtex Nursers with Drop-Ins Liners 4 Oz set I picked up at Target comes with 3 bottles, which is totally convenient. I loved being able to keep one in use, one in the dishwasher and one on standby.
Also in this set are five disposable, pre-formed & pre-sterilized liners. The soft liner collapses (just like the breast does during breastfeeding) to prevent air from getting into baby’s tummy. By maintaining air-free feeding, this bottle reduces the chance of colic. Simply place the liner (matched to the size of bottle you’re using) into the bottle and fill with milk or formula. Recycle or discard the liner after use. These liners make it a breeze to keep the bottles clean and are so convenient when feeding on the go!
Be sure to check out other great bottles from Playtex, such as the Playtex Baby™ VentAire®, which promotes complete tummy comfort with less colic & reflux. I picked up my set of Playtex Nursers with Drop-Ins Liners from Target in one of the baby care aisles. You can find the set I picked up, as well as other bottles & sets from Playtex.
4. Accept help: Raising a baby is hard work. For a first-time mom, the whole experience can be overwhelming at times. If people in your life are offering to help you, accept it. Ask the grandparents to come over and stay with baby so you can get some much-needed relaxation. Ask the husband to take care of baby while you spend the day getting pampered with your girlfriends. My friends brought over freezer meals (frozen meals that are ready to heat and eat). My parents definitely helped me out during those first few months, and it was so much fun seeing my mom and daughter interact with each other.
5. Track baby’s activities: When was the last time baby ate? Did baby poop today? Is she on an antibiotic and you need to remember when you gave the last dose? When was her last nap- is she cranky because she’s tired? Keeping track of baby’s activities is a smart way to get into a routine that works well for the family. There are many apps available for smartphones that automate this tracking process, but I have always been a fan of paper & pen.
6. Meet other moms: There’s nothing like the sisterhood of fellow moms. Join local mom’s groups to connect with other moms with similarly-aged kiddos. I joined a mom’s group offered by the hospital, where I gave birth. I met a mom there who I continue to be close friends with after five years. You can also typically find mom’s groups offered at churches, local community organizations, and national networks. Meeting other moms is a great way to develop lasting friendships and set up built-in play dates for the kids. I remember countless trips to the coffee shop with my mom friends. We would enjoy some java & conversation while the kids napped.
7. Document the little moments: I’m so glad I captured so many amazing early milestones, such as her first taste of ice cream, her first trip to the playground, her first experience of snow, etc. So my final piece of advice to new moms is try to slow down and cherish all these little milestones along the way, and above all, take plenty of pictures! This is a picture of her first crawl – it still warms my heart!
To keep up-to-date with the latest from Playtex, be sure to check them out on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Before you head to Target to pick up Playtex bottles, be sure to take advantage of one of these amazing, limited-time Cartwheel offers.
*From 4/9 through 4/15, save 10% on all Playtex Baby Bottles by clicking here.
*From 4/16 through 4/22, save 15% on all Playtex Baby Bottles by clicking here.
See why Playtex bottles should be a must-have item for all new moms and tell me: What was one lesson that you learned as a new mom?