Giving back to my local community has always been important to me. In fact, I’m constantly teaching my daughters that giving back to others is an important part of being a responsible citizen. Whether I’m volunteering at the kids’ school or making a monetary donation to a charity, I’m always trying to help out those in need. Speaking of giving back, did you know that Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company is actually donating $2 million dollars to charities this year? What’s really exciting is that you could vote on how the money gets distributed! Keep reading for all the details.
Making an Impact: Easy Ways to Give Back to your Local Community
1. Donate non-perishable food: An easy way to give back to your local community is by donating non-perishable foods, like canned goods, to those in need. You can find local homeless shelters in your area and offer to bring a selection of canned goods. I try to do this a few times per year. It’s an easy way to help out the less fortunate. Look for canned food drives at your local hospital, house of worship, community center, and other local organizations.
2. Volunteer at school: Donating one’s time to an organization is a great way to give back to the community. Seek out volunteering opportunities at local schools, hospitals, first aid centers, and other groups in your community. Volunteering to help out at my daughter’s school is an easy way that I give back to my community. The teachers are always very grateful when I come in to the classroom and read a storybook to the kids. I’ve done this a few times this year and I usually bring along one of our favorite kid’s books. We’ve amassed a sizable collection of books for the kids!
3. Donate clothing: The kids grow out of their clothing so quickly, and we always have a big overflow of clothing that is in good shape, but is just too small for our kids. Therefore, I try to make a big pile of this clothing once per month and bring it to a clothing donation center in my area. Rather than throwing this clothing away, giving it to those in need is a super easy way to make a big impact!
4. Contribute to a charity: Making a charitable donation to a local or national organization is a great way to give back to the organizations that help others. Whether it’s a small amount or a large amount, every donation is always well-appreciated. As it’s often said, every little bit counts! I try to make one large monetary donation per year.
Speaking of giving back to the community, Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company is spearheading the “Band Together” campaign! Jewelers Mutual will be donating around $2 million to support three causes: health, home, and hunger. Specifically, this campaign will be focused around the following non-profit organizations: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Habitat for Humanity, and Feeding America or Food Banks Canada.
What’s really unique about this example of corporate philanthropy is that Jewelers Mutual is actually letting the public decide how to disperse the donation. You can vote for your choice of causes from July 11, 2016 at 11am CT – July 31, 2016 at 11pm CT. Here is how the funds will be distributed:
- The organization that receives the highest number of votes will receive a $1 million donation from Jewelers Mutual.
- The organization that receives the second highest number of votes will receive a $700,000 donation from Jewelers Mutual.
- The organization that receives the third highest number of votes will receive a $300,000 donation from Jewelers Mutual.
Isn’t that amazing? We can all contribute our opinions on which organization should win the grand prize! Furthermore, voters who participate during this three-week campaign will be automatically entered for a chance to win amazing jewelry pieces from STACKED New York! One winner will be selected each week to receive a set of 3 stacking bands ($450 retail value). When you vote every day, you increase your chances of winning!
Now, learn more about how Jewelers Mutual is giving back to the community and tell me: How do you give back to your local community? Which organization in the “Band Together” campaign will you vote for?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.