It was a lazy Spring afternoon. The kids and I were hanging out in the backyard when my younger daughter (who had just started potty training) told me she had to “go”! So I quickly whisked her inside and brought her to her potty, but she wasn’t able to use the potty. By the time we got back outside, she had “went” #1… all over the grass! 🙂 It fertilized our soil nicely, but it was a bit frustrating for me, because we had just visited the potty minutes ago! That’s the nature of potty training– it’s unpredictable and sometimes frustrating. However, it’s important to maintain a positive attitude to keep encouraging the little one to use the potty.
Potty training is definitely one of the rites of toddlerhood! Although it can seem intimidating at first, there are definitely certain tips & tricks that make potty training less stressful for everyone involved! I potty trained my older daughter really quickly, and now, potty training my younger one is going just as smoothly overall! Here are some of the tips we’ve learned along the way!
Stress-Free Potty Training Tips
1. Keep It Positive: Accidents will happen! It’s definitely an expected part of the process. What’s most important is making sure that the child does not feel shame after an accident. Explain to your little one that accidents are normal and that she should just try to listen to her body better next time.
I remember one of my older daughter’s first accidents well. She felt so sad that she couldn’t wait to reach the potty. I just sat her down and comforted her and we also read her one of her favorite potty books. I encouraged her to keep trying, and within a few days, she got it!
2. Frequent Potty Trips: During the early stages of potty training, it’s super important to make regular trips to the potty with your child. Encourage your little one to drink often and visit the toilet every 15 minutes or so on the first few days. That may seem very frequent, but it’s necessary!
When my younger daughter started potty training, I used to sit on the floor right next to her potty so she wouldn’t feel lonely. We would sing her favorite nursery songs to pass the time and distract her a bit from the monotony of sitting on the potty.
3. Sensible Clothing: Make sure your little one is wearing clothing with elastic waistbands. Avoid constrictive clothing that makes it difficult for your child to pull their pants up or down.
I remember keeping my kids in sweatpants or leggings when potty training. If it was warm enough, I even let them run around without pants. It’s all about making things easy for them early on!
4. Incentives: There’s no doubt about it. Kids respond to treats! So consider creating a small bucket with some rewards for a successful potty trip. And this bucket doesn’t have to include candies. Other non-candy options include stickers, temporary tattoos, small toys, stuffed animals, etc.
We had treat buckets for both girls and they both loved getting to pick something out of the bucket when they were able to successfully use the potty. I really believe it helped to motivate them and keep them on track!
5. Pull-Ups® Training Pants & Cottonelle® FreshCare® Cleansing Wipes: These are definitely must-have products for any mom attempting to potty train their little one. The new leg fit provides protection against wetness exactly where toddlers need it most! Since the sides are stretchy, it’s very easy for the little one to easily pull the training pants up and down. Plus, with the easy-open sides, it’s super easy for mom to do a quick change when necessary. The zoned protection also offers a high level of absorbency to keep the little one comfortable! When the little one is comfortable, she can go back to doing what she does best: playing!
We pick up our Pull-Ups® Training Pants from Sam’s Club®, because we always get a great value at Sam’s Club®! My kids love visiting the store with me, because they always wind up getting to try some samples! 🙂 However, I keep going back to Sam’s Club® because I can get all my household essentials in one place at a great value! The Pull-Ups® Learning Designs® feature characters that my children love: Doc McStuffins and Lightning McQueen!
The wetness indicators are super helpful, since they fade when wet so you know when a change is necessary. Look for these training pants in multiple sizes: 2T-3T (18-34 lbs.), 3T-4T (32-40 lbs.) and 4T-5T (38-50 lbs.). Since a freebie is always fun, keep an eye out for the bonus Back Pack included inside featuring Doc McStuffins and Lightning McQueen!
While taking my shots, one toddler in particular decided that the box would make the perfect seat! 🙂
With Pull-Ups® Training Pants & Cottonelle® FreshCare® Cleansing Wipes, potty training can be fun & exciting! #TrainTogether!
For wiping little one after using the potty, nothing works as well as Cottonelle® FreshCare® Cleansing Wipes! These flushable wipes break apart upon flushing so they’re safe for the sewer and septic systems.
And since they’re free of alcohol, you can rest assured that they’re gentle enough for little one’s skin!
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone into a public restroom with my toddler and found no toilet paper there. That’s why these cleansing wipes are a must-have in every mom’s diaper bag or purse!
If you’re in the process of potty training your little one and you’re ready to pick up some of these essentials, I have a fabulous deal for you! Visit your local Sam’s Club® store to purchase any two Pull-Ups® Training Pants and/or Cottonelle® Fresh Care® Flushable Cleansing Cloths between 5/31-6/30/16 and you’ll receive a $10 Sam’s Club® e-Gift Card! Visit this page for details on the gift card!
Today, we went to Sam’s Club to pick up some potty training essentials! We found everything from Pull-Ups® Training Pants to Cottonelle® FreshCare® Cleansing Wipes. If you’re potty training your child, be sure to visit Sam’s Club for all the must-have products! #ad #TrainTogether #pottytrain #potty #pottytraining #child #children #kids #pullups #wipes #trainingpants
There’s also an amazing sweepstakes going on right now, too. When you visit the Pull-Ups® Sweepstakes page and upload a family photo, you’ll be entered to win a $500 Sam’s Club® gift card!
Are you confused about how to go about potty training? Take the guesswork out of the whole process with The Pull-Ups® Potty Partnership! It’s a really cool, personalized program that helps teach a young child to use the potty. This partnership was created between the Pull-Ups® brand, a renowned child psychologist and potty training experts! By working with your child’s unique personality on their schedule, the Pull-Ups® Potty Partnership is the key to successful potty training! For more details about this potty training method, watch this video below!
Now, visit Sam’s Club® to pick up these essential potty training products and tell me: What are your tips for making potty training successful? Is your child ready to potty train? Are you a Sam’s Club® member? What would you buy if you won the $500 gift card?
Many thanks to Kimberly-Clark for sponsoring today’s story and encouraging me to try Pull-Ups® and Cottonelle® FreshCare®!