The Best Pressure Cooker Rice Pudding (FWPC6L review)November 4, 2015
I’ve always loved a good rice pudding! It’s a treat that brings me back to my childhood. Whether ordering rice pudding from a diner with my parents, or watching my mom make rice pudding from scratch on the stove top, rice pudding is a nostalgic dessert for me! The creamy texture, the vanilla flavor, the spice of cinnamon… I love it all! When I recently had the opportunity to review a pressure cooker, I knew I would try making some rice pudding! The final result was so delicious and the whole process was remarkably easy & straightforward! And by using the pressure cooker, I made this delicious treat in a fraction of the time typically required to make homemade rice pudding from scratch!
Here’s a sneak peek at the rice pudding I made!
The Best Pressure Cooker Rice Pudding
1 cup white rice
1.75 cups water
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins
1. Place the rice, water and salt in the pressure cooker. Lock the lid and cook under pressure for about 5 minutes. Then, turn off the pressure cooker and let sit another 5 minutes. Release the steam using the steam control handle. Once all the steam exits, remove the lid.
2. Add 1.5 cups milk and the sugar to the rice and stir to combine.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the eggs with the remaining 1/2 cup milk, vanilla & cinnamon. Add small amounts of the rice mixture to the egg mixture until the temperature of the egg mixture is raised; this is called tempering the eggs. By raising the temperature of the eggs slowly, you avoid scrambling them! Once you have added a few spoonfuls of the rice mixture to the eggs, then you may add the egg mixture to the rice mixture. Add the eggs in slowly and whisk constantly. Then, slowly add the egg mixture to the rice mixture, whisking constantly.
4. Turn the pressure cooker back on until the mixture starts to boil. Finally, turn it off again, add the raisins and stir to combine.
5. Pour into small serving dishes and refrigerate. Garnish with a cinnamon stick or cherry (optional).
This recipe was surprisingly quick and easy to make! And I love that by using the pressure cooker, I was able to shave off so much time from the cooking time! I absolutely love the flavor and texture of this rice pudding… it’s wonderfully creamy and totally delicious!
I’ve already used my new pressure cooker (the FairWind FWPC6L Pressure Cooker) to make a few other meals in our house, including vegetable stew, chicken noodle soup and homemade applesauce. There are so many useful features of this pressure cooker that just make the whole cooking process so efficient and enjoyable. I love that the interior cooking pot has visible measurement gradations on the inside to make measuring ingredients a cinch!
The pressure cooker even comes with a rice measuring cup and 2 serving spoons, which comes in handy for sure! The cooking pot actually holds up to 6L worth of food and is dishwasher safe! I love that I can just throw the cooking pot in the dishwasher when I’m done with a meal. The settings panel is completely user-friendly and intuitive, so it’s very quick & easy to set a timer or select from up to 8 programmed functions!
I appreciate that the food cooks evenly and retains moisture throughout the cooking process. The top of the lid has a little valve that will keep the food pressurized at the right levels. When you are ready to release the pressure, you simply turn a little handle and the pressure will be released.
This has been my very first experience using a pressure cooker and I’m totally pleased with the functionality of this device, along with the results of my first few meals prepared in this appliance. With all the cooking that happens during the holiday season coming up, I know I’ll be using this little appliance many times again!
If you’d like to see a quick video tour of this pressure cooker, please click here.
Now, tell me in the comments below… Have you ever used a pressure cooker? What would you like to make with one?!
Disclosure: I received a FairWind FWPC6L Pressure Cooker for the purpose of this review. This post was made possible by Mom Spark Media. Thoughts are my own.