Home Remodeling: When to Call in a ProOctober 1, 2015
If you’ve followed this blog for some time, you know that we like to renovate our house as a weekend hobby! We love to spruce up the curb appeal, update bathroom fixtures, remove old wallpaper and paint rooms with fresh colors! However, as much as we enjoy the DIY process, we also recognize that at certain times, hiring a professional contractor is a must! And so today, I wanted to share with you all some tips on determining when a home remodeling job is not a DIY job and should be handled by a pro!
Although we love to get our hands dirty and do some work around the house ourselves, we also know our limits and will happily hire a professional contractor to do certain jobs!
Home Remodeling: When to Call in a Pro
1. Does the job require specialty knowledge or equipment? If your job involves an element of danger (structural changes, plumbing work, electrical changes, etc.), it might be wise to hire a pro!
We wanted to replace our toilet in the guest bathroom and we even tried. But it didn’t take too long for us to realize we were in over our heads with this one! The flange in the floor was too low and this was not a job where a “good-enough” seal was acceptable! So we immediately called in a plumber to handle the situation! Obviously, we are so pleased that the plumber took care of this job for us and we haven’t had to think about it again!
2. Is the project too big or complicated to finish in an efficient manner?
We wanted to put up a fence when we first moved into this house. But it was the hottest time of Summer (95+ degrees) and we needed over 200 feet of 6′ cedar fencing installed. We were not about to experiment with installing that ourselves! Especially since the professional contractors who did this for us took only one day + one afternoon to get the whole job done! If we were foolish enough to attempt this one ourselves, it probably would have taken us two weeks, including removal of the old fence! Therefore, it was a no-brainer to call in a pro for the fence, because we would have been terribly inefficient at doing the job ourselves! We did wind up staining the fence ourselves, but that was an easy job.
3. Does this job pose a risk to you or your property if not done properly?
We are considering putting a second-story addition onto our house. This is a huge job with major structural implications. Needless to say, we will be hiring a contractor to handle this one from beginning to end. Whenever there is risk to human health or property if a job is not done properly, it’s a wise move to call in a pro!
So these are the points you need to consider when deciding whether a home renovation job can be handled on your own, or whether you should just call in a pro! If you decide to call in a professional, consider visiting the Contractor Connection to find a reliable, trusted contractor near you!
Here’s what I love about this site:
- Expert Contractors: All of their professionals have met a rigorous set of personal and professional standards, such as criminal background checks, proper licensing, proper insurance and financial stability.
- Warranty: The network of expert contractors is so proficient at their skills, they stand behind their work with a 3-year workmanship warranty! That’s an incredibly long warranty for this work! (And if the contractor does not honor this commitment, Contractor Connection aids in resolving the issue!)
- Single Source for Contractors: Rather than dealing with multiple contractors with different strengths, Contractor Connection will match you with one contractor for your job. That’s so convenient!
And if you were wondering, they can handle so many different categories of home repairs/renovations, including bathrooms, kitchens, exterior spaces, roofing, flooring, siding, plumbing, emergency repairs and special needs.
So, are you interested in learning how the process works? It’s really quite simple!
- Visit their site and request a free estimate.
- Enter your zip code.
- A contractor will contact you within 24 hours.
- Set a time to meet with your contractor.
- Once you approve the estimate, work begins right away.
- Log in to the online project tracker to view progress & status updates.
Also, if you want to spruce up your home, but you’re lacking some inspiration, you have to visit their Design Gallery! You’ll find so many beautiful pictures of home remodeling jobs to get excited about. I spent about 15 minutes looking through their pictures, and now I seriously want to fix up a few more spaces in our home!
So, tell me what home remodeling projects do you have in mind for the near future?
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Contractor Connection, but as always, all opinions are exclusively my own.