Halloween DIY: Spider Den & Crystal BallOctober 19, 2015
I cannot believe Halloween is only a few weeks away! I have been doing tons of Halloween crafts over here and it has been so much fun! Today, I’m so excited to share with you all a tutorial for making a Spider Den & Crystal Ball- a spooktacular addition to any fireplace mantel, table or counter! I got my inspiration for this project from the Halloween booklet written by the folks at FloraCraft® and I have to say that this FREE resource is full of inspirational Halloween ideas! I’ll tell you more about the book soon but here is a peek at my Halloween craft! #MakeItFunCrafts
Halloween DIY: Spider Den & Crystal Ball
So, are you curious to know how I made this project? Let’s get to it!
FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam: 2 Balls (6″ and 5″)
FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam: 4 Balls (1″)
Patching plaster compound
print-out of a spooky word or numbers
matte decoupage medium
chenille stems (8 small strips per spider)
small white beads
1. Let’s start with the spiders. Paint the small foam balls with black paint.
2. Take the chenille stems and cut 8 strips for each spider. Choose shorter strips to make a small spider and longer strips to make a large spider. Stick them into the foam balls, with 4 on each side.
3. Using hot glue, adhere two tiny white beads onto the balls for eyes. And just like that, the spiders are done! Pretty cute, right?
4. Now, let’s move on to the spider den and crystal ball. First, cut a flat edge on each of the large foam balls to make the next few steps much easier.
5. For the spider den, draw the shape of the den with a black marker and then carve it away using a craft knife.
6. Use a spackle compound on both foam balls to give them a more interesting texture.
7. Paint the crystal ball white. Paint the spider den and candle stick holder black.
8. Print out a word or some numbers to be displayed on the crystal ball. I chose the word “BOO.”
9. Cut out the letters carefully and use a matte decoupage medium to adhere the letters to the front of the crystal ball. Set the crystal ball on top of the candlestick, place the spiders in position and admire your work!
How fun was this?! I love how the spiders look like they’re climbing into their den!
The Halloween booklet has so many other crafts from fun headbands to elegant pumpkins to scary skeletons! There are beautiful, large photographs of the crafts, along with complete tutorials (including supplies and directions) for each one! Be sure to take a peek at this FREE resource and get some amazing inspiration for all your Halloween crafting!
Now, learn more about FloraCraft® here and tell me in the Comments below: what Halloween crafts are you still planning to make?!