Stocking stuffers, elves on shelves, and Christmas carols are a few of my favorite things. I love Christmas and I want my baby to learn to love Christmas too! This is my baby’s first Christmas, and so it got me thinking of cute Christmas traditions to incorporate into our regular Christmas activities. I want my daughter to love Christmas as much as I did when I was growing up and I want her to get excited about all the lights, colors, sounds, and smells of Christmas.
What we did this year was let her watch us put up our big Christmas tree in the living room, our decorations on the stair banisters and all our little knick-knacks throughout the house. We also bring her to the decorations on a regular basis and talk to her about the colors and shapes and such. Ya know, stuff like “Look at the pretty red stocking. It is filled with little gifts for you. Look at the bright gold star; it is on top of the tree!”
We also dedicated a tree to her and put it in her room. Since she loves pink and purple (I know that for a fact, even though she is only 6 months old), we used pink and purple ornaments and embelishments on the tree. We are using a tree just like this one.
It is the perfect size for a child to really embrace the tree as her own over time. We fully envision her decorating the tree on her own in a few short years and eventually being able to pick out her own ornaments from the store to customize her little tree! We think she’ll love it even more as she gets older. For now, we decorated it in a way that we know she will like. It’s colorful, shiny, sparkly, glittery, sparkly, pretty… did I say sparkly? Here it is right near her diaper pail.
Other traditions I intend to incorporate with my daughter as she gets older…
- Writing a letter to Santa in the North Pole in early December with a list of gifts, or go high-tech and e-mail Santa
- Leaving cookies & milk out for Santa on Christmas Eve
- Having her make handmade Christmas scene pictures to hang around her room
- Teaching her to pick out gifts for her friends & family to ignite a spirit of giving
- Waking up Christmas morning to a feast of tasty treats & goodies
- Getting excited to open gifts up on Christmas morning under the tree